“Our response to a world at war has a name: its name is fraternity, its name is brotherhood, its name is communion, its name is family.”
– Pope Francis
We desire to take the words of the Holy Father and bring them to life within the hearts of the students, families, teachers and staff of St. Michael the Archangel. The community system will provide avenues for students to build strong, lasting relationships. It will provide a place for a school population to be formed into family.
The community system at St. Michael the Archangel will exist to further the mission of the school. The system will seek first and foremost to form saints of the Church. It will be a place where students exercise their leadership skills and develop the professional skills that will be invaluable in their lives beyond high school.
“St. Michael the Archangel Catholic High School is a school where everyone feels like a family; each person that steps into the building is welcomed…I’m truly grateful to attend a high school where we are allowed to talk about our faith and teachers and peers hold you accountable to be the best version of yourself.”
– Colleen McNamara, School Captain, 2019-2020
Community life must be a part of every aspect of student life. In order for this to happen, great care and attention must be given to the practical implementation of the community principles in the classroom, athletics, theater, music, etc. In addition, the school will breathe with the Church giving utmost importance to the liturgical calendar and educating the community on special feasts and celebrations within the Church.
The community system is designed to:
- Facilitate an atmosphere of authentic Catholic culture Create opportunities for students to be involved in leadership positions
- Create lasting relationships
- Plan school activities and events
The high school will consist of three smaller communities.
– Within each community there will be several “houses.”
– Each house will be made up of students from all grade levels. This creates opportunities for students to form relationships with people from every grade level.This community system will be a dynamic and powerful way to provide a space for all students to belong to something great. Each student will have opportunities to contribute their own gifts and talents to the school community in profound and lasting ways. The community system will be built on the virtue of humility; the foundation of all Christian virtues. Therefore, we will look towards Christ; the perfect example of humble, servant leadership.
“Have among yourselves the same attitude that is also yours in Christ Jesus, Who, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God something to be grasped. Rather, he emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, coming in human likeness; and found human in appearance” – Philippians 2:5-7